Vacancy Announcement: Domestic Violence Response and Prevention Advocate – 20 hours per week, possibility of full time for an experienced candidate
Saheli Boston is seeking a dedicated advocate to work with survivors of domestic violence.
Saheli provides services in the areas of domestic violence, career and economic empowerment, physical and mental health resources, safety plans, legal and immigration assistance, and social and cultural volunteer opportunities. Our clients speak languages from India, Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and other smaller South Asian countries.
The DV Advocates will be expected to provide general supportive counseling and advocacy services to community-based survivors of domestic violence; conduct training and provide outreach and information about Saheli’s services as well as to raise awareness about issues of abuse and violence in the South Asian community; serve as a liaison between Saheli and South Asian community members; and provide advocacy and guidance, strengthen culturally responsive and affirming services within Saheli and to community health and social service providers. This position reports to the Executive Director, and will also work closely with the Family Services Coordinator.
The ideal candidate will have a background in—and passion for— gender equity, social work, domestic/intimate partner violence, and strengthening South Asian women and families.
- Provide direct services to women and families facing domestic abuse and violence and link them to resources as needed.
- Provide coverage on a rotational basis with the help of volunteers for a 24 hour helpline for victims of domestic abuse and violence, including some weekends.
- Assist family services coordinator to assign cases so at to maintain a balanced case load among DV advocates on the North and South Shore and Shrewsbury.
- Enter data into the domestic violence database on a regular basis and within the time limits set by the family services coordinator.
- Assist clients in South Asian languages and English to interact with police, attorneys, court officers and others.
- Accompany clients to police, court, public benefit services and shelter, as needed.
- Provide support and counseling to survivors and their families on an ongoing basis.
- Attend events in the South Asian community and promote Saheli locally, regionally and nationally, in rotation with volunteers, including two weekends
- Attend two regular phone status meetings with the family services coordinator every month.
- Research, organize and inform the board about training in domestic violence prevention offered by partner agencies on a regular basis.
Criteria for selection:
- Must be committed to Saheli’s mission to ending violence and abuse against women, to using empowerment practices, and to promoting social justice and social change
- BA/BS in social work, behavioral sciences, and other related fields or equivalent
- Two year’s work experience in domestic violence prevention services or related social work fields required
- Fluency in English
- Must complete comprehensive domestic violence training; documentation of similar training at another organization may partially fulfill this requirement.
- Computer literate and proficient using email, Microsoft Office applications and some knowledge of databases
- Strong communication, writing, speaking and interpersonal skills
- Must be highly motivated, mature, well-organized, self-directed, and committed to serving women and their families
- Be willing to work as a team to address difficult abuse cases
- Work in a small office environment and be willing to work with clients some evenings, weekends and holidays
- Attend monthly meetings with the Board in Burlington on the second Saturday of each month
- This is a part-time appointment with flexibility to work from home.Potential to be full time for the right candidate
- CORI check and three reference letters required
- Valid MA driver’s license, reliable transportation, current automobile insurance, and willingness to travel within Saheli’s service area.
Flexible start date for an experienced candidate Salary is commensurate with experience. Position is open till filled. Saheli does not discriminate against people based on gender, age, religion, ethnicity, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation. Please send cover letter and resume to Saheli at : email@example.com.