Job Opening: Domestic Violence Advocate – Part time (20 Hours)
Saheli Boston is a 501 © 3 non-profit organization dedicated to supporting South Asian women and families in the Greater Boston area. Our office is in Burlington, MA. Our mission is to empower South Asians to lead healthy and safe lives. With over 21 years of experience, Saheli offers a range of free and confidential services geared specifically toward the challenges faced by South Asians and other immigrants.
This person reports directly to the Executive Director and is responsible to:
- Provide general supportive counseling and advocacy services to community-based survivors of domestic violence;
- Conduct trainings and provide outreach and information about SAHELI’S services as well as to raise awareness about issues of abuse and violence in the South Asian community;
- Provide advocacy and guidance, strengthen culturally responsive and affirming services within SAHELI and to community health and social service providers.
The ideal candidate:
- Will have a background in—and passion for— gender equity, social work, domestic/intimate partner violence, and strengthening women and families.
- Will provide direct services to men, women and families facing domestic abuse and violence and link them to resources as needed.
- Provide coverage on a rotational basis to monitor a 24-hour helpline for victims of domestic abuse and violence, including weekends.
- Enter data into the domestic violence database on a regular basis.
- Assist clients to interact with police, attorneys, court officers and others.
- Accompany clients to police, court, public benefit services and shelter, as needed.
- Provide support and counseling to survivors and their families on an ongoing basis.
- Communicate and maintain strong relationships with staff and develop collaborative projects (outreach, workshops, grants, seminars).
- Attend events in the South Asian community and promote Saheli’s leadership locally, regionally and nationally, in rotation with volunteers, and including two weekends.
- Research, organize and inform the board about trainings in domestic violence prevention offered by partner agencies on a regular basis.
Must be committed to Saheli’s mission to ending violence and abuse against women, to using empowerment practice, and to promoting social justice and social change.
- BA/BS in social work, behavioral sciences, and other related fields or equivalent
- Two year’s work experience in domestic violence prevention services or related social work fields required
- Fluency in English
- Must complete comprehensive domestic violence training prior to date of hire; documentation of similar training at another organization may partially fulfill this requirement.
- Computer literate and proficient using email, Microsoft Office applications and some knowledge of databases
- Strong communication, writing, speaking and interpersonal skills
- Must be highly motivated, mature, well-organized, self-directed, and committed to serving women and their families
- Be willing to work as a team to address difficult abuse cases
- Work in a small office environment and be willing to work with clients some evenings, weekends and holidays
- Attend monthly meetings with the Board in Burlington on the second Saturday of each month
- This is a part-time appointment with flexibility to work from home on one day of the week
- CORI check and three reference letters required
- Valid MA driver’s license, reliable transportation, current automobile insurance, and willingness to travel within Saheli’s service area on organizational business very strongly preferred
- Start date: ASAP. Flexible for a strong candidate
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
Saheli does not discriminate against people based on gender, age, religion, ethnicity, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation. Position is open till filled.
Please send cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Saheli, P. O. Box 1345, Burlington, MA 01803 |www.saheliboston.org | Facebook: saheliboston