Position Announcement: Housing Specialist
General Statement of Duties
Provides a variety of office and field activities to manage and monitor the Saheli Housing Stabilization Program for families, performs direct client services, and compiles related documentation.
Work involves orienting all eligible participants to the program and providing housing search and supportive services to promote participants self-sufficiency, integration into the community, and permanency in housing; performing administrative tasks involved in the review and maintenance of a caseload of program participants. The principal duties are performed both in a general office environment and in the field and community where program participants reside.
- Assess housing barriers of individuals and families experiencing homelessness to determine housing and service needs.
- Develop a housing procurement, financial, and self-sufficiency case management plan with clients. This shall include intake interview to determine client’s needs, goals, and eligibility.
- Provide mediation and advocacy with landlords on the client’s behalf to develop a workable plan to obtain and or maintain housing.
- Assist participants in locating and securing housing of their choice.
- Create and maintain consistent communication channels, both verbal and written, between several parties (i.e. tenant, landlord, referral source, collaborating agencies, debtors and creditors).
- Provide information and referral assistance regarding available support from appropriate social service agencies and/or community programs.
- Assist participants in development of a strength-based/solution-focused individualized goal and action plan that promotes permanent housing and self-sufficiency; develop an effective, timely referral network in order to ensure ongoing direction and support as needed.
- Identify participant strengths and barriers to stability and assist participants to reducing barriers and linking to resources and services.
- Maintain accurate daily logs records, monthly outcome reports, and files for each client.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Minimum Education Requirements: Bachelor Degree preferred or a minimum of two years’ experience in an office setting.
- Excellent communication skills, particularly listening, mediation, and writing skills.
- Possess strong organizational skills with ability to meet a demanding workload.
- Detail oriented to complete requirements of files and contract compliance.
- Creative thinker/adaptive personality.
- Fluency in the English language is required. Fluency in another South Asian language or Arabic preferred.
- Experience with computer and knowledge of Microsoft Office is necessary.
- Valid driver’s license and a car.
- Sensitivity to cultural and socioeconomic characteristics of population served.
- The ability to work collaboratively with other personnel and/or service providers or professionals.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed by the individual in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of the position. Employees may have other duties assigned at any time.
Please email email@example.com with your resume and cover letter.
- Salary: Salary commensurate with experience
- Location: Burlington, Massachusetts
- Hours: Part time – 20 hours
Saheli offers non-judgmental culturally sensitive domestic and sexual violence services that are vital to the wellbeing of immigrant survivors of domestic and sexual violence while keeping in mind their unique cultural beliefs and upbringing. Saheli’s services are offered in Bengali, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Marathi, Punjabi, Sindhi, Tamil, Telugu, Urdu and Arabic.