Sometimes it can be hard to tell if you are in a healthy relationship or an abusive one. We receive many mixed messages from our family and friends. South Asian traditions tell women to do their “duty” towards husbands, sons and in-laws. Besides, all couples fight occasionally. How do you know what is part of a normal relationship and what is abuse?
In Healthy Relationships: there is partnership, communication, economic equality, respect, physical safety, and support and trust.
- You feel SAFE and comfortable with each other
- Communication is open – you listen to each other and decide issues together
- You express feeling without fear of your partner’s reactions
- Rules/boundaries are defined yet there is flexibility to change as needed
- Both have meaningful relationships and hobbies outside the marriage
- You DO NOT try to CHANGE or CONTROL your partner
- You can say “no” WITHOUT fear or guilt
- Each partner is responsible for his or her own actions
- Each partner can enjoy being alone and privacy is RESPECTED