(209A Abuse Prevention Orders)

If you do not feel safe, you may apply for a restraining order at District Court (or through the local police if the Court is closed) to help protect yourself and your family from:

 “family or household members” that have abused you.

You can only get a restraining order if the abuser is:

  • A person to whom you are or were married
  • A person you are or were in a dating or engagement relationship
  • A person you haven’t been married to but are or were related to by blood or marriage (for example, cousin, brother-in-law, brother
  • A person with whom you have had a child, regardless of whether you have ever been married or lived together
  • A person you are not related to currently but are or formerly were members of the same household

Restraining Orders may be customized to include (but are not limited to);

  • An order not to commit further abuse
  • A “no contact”, stay-away order (from home, work, and/or school)
  • A vacate order to leave a shared residence
  • An order directing your attacker to pay you for losses suffered as a result of the abuse, including medical and moving expenses, cost for restoring utilities and replacing lock, and other out-of-pocket losses for injuries and property damage sustained.


Saheli advocates can help you to get a restraining order. Call Saheli at 866-472-4354  or an advocate at any shelter or anti-domestic violence agency for help and more information