Currently no job opportunities are available.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Saheli! Please see our current volunteer opportunities below and click here to fill out our volunteer application. For more information please email email@example.com. After you fill out a volunteer application, someone will get back to you within a few weeks to schedule a phone interview.
Computer Class Teacher or Teaching Assistant
This volunteer opportunity is based in Quincy, MA. Please click here for more details.
Represent Saheli at community events and pass information out about the organization. Give PowerPoint presentations about Saheli’s free programs and services. Maintain a calendar of local community outreach events and organize outreach volunteers. Attend events, manage an outreach table, and help coordinate event logistics. Fluency in English and strong communication skills required. Excellent opportunity for those with H-4 visas and/or others waiting for Employment Authorization to gain work experience in the U.S. and build a local network.
More Ways to Help
On a continuing basis, we welcome volunteer assistance for the following volunteer opportunities:
- Domestic Violence Advocates: Assist with case management and advocacy, and accompany survivors to appointments. Requires a 30-40 hour formal training. Having access to a car is helpful. Advocates must commit to 10 hours of advocacy volunteer work per month for a minimum of 6 months.
- Career Coaching: Review resumés and cover letters to help survivors of domestic violence find jobs and achieve financial self-sufficiency.
- Development: Create e-campaigns and quarterly newsletters; update volunteer and donor databases.
- Grants: Research, write and edit grants.
- Events: Create and coordinate fundraising events.
- Economic Empowerment Program: Assist teachers in computer literacy classes and tutor students. Help with financial planning and immigrant education classes.
- Administrative: Help with office coverage and administrative tasks (such as copying, answering phones, mailing thank-you letters to donors, and editing documents).
- Outreach and Community Education: Represent Saheli at community events and pass information out about the organization. Attend events, manage an outreach table, and help coordinate event logistics.
- Men’s Initiative Programs: Engage men in activities to end gender violence.
*Paid* Summer Intern/Office Assistant – 15 hrs/wk (starts May 15th, 2017)
Saheli seeks a part-time Intern to assist the organization with administrative tasks as well as answering calls on the domestic violence helpline. We are a domestic violence prevention agency located in Burlington, MA. Burlington is on the 350 bus line, which connects to the Red Line Alewife T station. Ideally the candidate will have a background in—and passion for— gender issues, social work, preventing violence against women and working with survivors and the South Asian community.
- Office and administrative tasks
- Coordinating the quarterly newsletter with the Program Coordinator
- Helping to publicize Saheli events to local media outlets and partner organizations
- Attending Saheli events and writing articles for the press and the web
- Answering the Helpline
- Working with survivors of domestic and sexual abuse and their children.
Criteria for selection:
- Strong writing skills, ability to make phone calls to donors and speak to the community
- Knowledge of email marketing, social media, Google Groups and Excel databases
- Ability to work independently and proactively without close supervision
- Ability to function flexibly in a fast-moving environment in a collaborative way
Additional criteria (ideal candidate):
- Speak a South Asian language desirable (e.g. Hindi, Gujarati, Bengali, Tamil, etc.)
- Cultural understanding of the South Asian community
- Current or past involvement with Asian student groups.
We will happily provide reference letters, opportunities for professional networking, and academic credit (on a case-by-case basis, subject to your academic institution’s approval).
Please send letter of interest, resume, and any links to your website or portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Intern – Summer 2017” in the subject line.
Saheli is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of religion, ethnicity, disability, marital status, age, gender, sexual orientation or any other characteristic.