[social_button button=”facebook” furl=”http://saheliboston.org/sujana-chalasani-grant-for-women-created-in-memory-of-her-sister/” fsend=”on” flayout=”standard ” fwidth=”450″ faction=”like” fcolorsheme=”light”]Saheli recognizes that survivors of domestic violence need support to escape unsafe situations and to get back on their feet. We are pleased to announce a new small grant opportunity, the Sujana Chalasani Fund. On a case-by-case basis, Saheli will award clients with up to $2,500 for the specific purpose of regaining economic independence by re-entering the job market. Funds will be prioritized for survivors who do not have advanced academic training or professional qualifications.
The funds can be leveraged to support initiatives that can supplement training for woman who may or may not have benefited earlier from Saheli’s trainings in English language, computer skills, drivers education and other programs that enhance economic independence.
For example, funds may be used to:
- Purchase of a vehicle to get to work
- Small business training
- Course in skills and job training; for example, web design, hair styling, driver’s education, nursing, interpreting or working towards a program certification
- Home-based business
If possible, Saheli encourages recipients to pay back half the amount of the grant at a mutually agreed-upon date in order to make it possible for other survivors to pursue similar opportunities in the future.
Criteria for recipients:
- Must reside in New England
- Must be a legal resident in the United States
- Must demonstrate that s/he is unable to access other resources
- Must articulate a clear objective for which the funds are sought
Funds will be at the discretion of the Saheli committee and the donor of the grant will be informed of the disbursement on a regular basis. Apply by email to Usha Vakil with a brief explanation of your situation.
[totop] to Top [/totop]